(NNPA) – Republican Florida Governor Rick Scott recently signed into law a bill requiring adults applying for temporary cash assistance to undergo drug screening. His rationale is to increase personal accountability and prevent Florida's tax dollars from subsidizing drug addiction, while still providing for needy children. Parents failing the required drug test may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of the children.
Special from The Charlotte Post (NNPA) – The 2012 elections are over a year away, but the fight for political power in terms of electoral maps is already beginning to take shape. In North Carolina, race is overshadowing the debate on where to draw district lines. Each electoral map is being re-drawn based on the 2010 census results. North Carolina’s population grew 18.5 percent between 2000 and 2010 to more than 9.5 million residents.
The quality of public education has been a heavy concern across the United States for many years. With the current downturn of the economy and downsizing of the school system, there is a growing concern about the nation’s schools ability to adequately educate today’s youth. Students at predominantly African American schools are at greater risk; according to statistics that show a large percentage of Black students are already at a disadvantage, more so than their Caucasian counterparts, or any other group in America.
A flyer hanging on the job posting board at the San Bernardino Fire Department announcing a new program to train cadets has ignited some citizens of SB to claim it’s racist.The cadet program was recently voted on by the city council to give teenagers who live in the community the opportunity to work for the San Bernardino Fire Department, one of the last departments to become fully integrated. Only eight of the city’s 148 firefighters live in the city.
- HUD Launches New Campaign Against Housing Fraud Areas Hard-Hit by Foreclosures Most Susceptible to Scams
- High Court Orders State Prison Population Slashed: Inland Officials Brace for Inmate Shift to Counties
- HBCU Civil Rights Lawsuit
- Picking Up the Pieces After Disaster
- My Restless Journey by Bertha Boykin Todd
- President Obama Meets with CBC at White House
- Brother II Brother Saving At Risk Black Males
- Social Networking to Achieve Racial Unity
- African Americans and Heart Disease