General intelligence alone is not enough: An employee with a higher level of emotional intelligence is more dedicated and satisfied at work. A new study shows that emotional intelligence plays an important role in coping with organizational politics.
I truly appreciate your Sept. 2 - 8 political cartoon depicting hate-mongering Glenn Beck’s absurd attempt to step into Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s shoes. This land was stolen from Native Americans, and developed with the stolen labor of Native Americans and Africans. First with litteral slavery; then, with the redefined slavery of “Jim Crow” laws until ...
Laura Bates walked into Wabash Valley Correctional Facility’s segregated housing unit and began knocking on inmate’s metal cell doors. “Hi. Would you like to read Shakespeare?” she asked. Those knocks led to a one-of-a-kind program.
Fostering community cooperation, building on skills and strengths, and getting strangers to work together -- these are fundamentals of community development. A pilot study of six migrant families living in a farm town, published in Southern Rural Sociology.
Parents will soon face the often-dreaded parent-teacher conference. But what seems to be an evaluation of student performance is more often than not an evaluation of the parent and the teacher, by each other. Danielle Pillet-Shore, assistant professor of communication at the University of New Hampshire has been studying parent-teacher interactions for a decade.
When companies go out of business, their leaders often blame something other than their own performance for the failure. Lehman Bros.’s CEO Richard Fuld said his immense compensation package had nothing to do with his firm’s death ...
Initial analysis of data on 21 states spread broadly across the country reveals that nonprofit employment actually grew by an average of 2.5 percent per year between the second quarter of 2007 and the second quarter of 2009, the worst part of the recent recession. By contrast, for-profit employment in these states fell during this same period by an average of 3.3 percent a year ...
- Unemployment Among Black Women Surges National Women’s Law Center
- Boosting Diversity With Leadership Effort For Girls of Color
- GDN Book Feature: “Come To Win” By Venus Williams
- Bridging Generation Gaps to Inspire African-American Youth Health
- Dr. Shirley Caesar to Host HBCU Choirs 2010 Kennedy Center Performance
- Kids and Money: The Right Ages and Stages to Teach Kids About Spending, Saving and Giving
- Today's Superheroes Send Wrong Image to Boys
- In The Shadow of Freedom: A Heroic Journey to Manhood and Liberation