Fostering community cooperation, building on skills and strengths, and getting strangers to work together -- these are fundamentals of community development. A pilot study of six migrant families living in a farm town, published in Southern Rural Sociology.
Parents will soon face the often-dreaded parent-teacher conference. But what seems to be an evaluation of student performance is more often than not an evaluation of the parent and the teacher, by each other. Danielle Pillet-Shore, assistant professor of communication at the University of New Hampshire has been studying parent-teacher interactions for a decade.
When companies go out of business, their leaders often blame something other than their own performance for the failure. Lehman Bros.’s CEO Richard Fuld said his immense compensation package had nothing to do with his firm’s death ...
Initial analysis of data on 21 states spread broadly across the country reveals that nonprofit employment actually grew by an average of 2.5 percent per year between the second quarter of 2007 and the second quarter of 2009, the worst part of the recent recession. By contrast, for-profit employment in these states fell during this same period by an average of 3.3 percent a year ...
- Unemployment Among Black Women Surges National Women’s Law Center
- Boosting Diversity With Leadership Effort For Girls of Color
- GDN Book Feature: “Come To Win” By Venus Williams
- Bridging Generation Gaps to Inspire African-American Youth Health
- Dr. Shirley Caesar to Host HBCU Choirs 2010 Kennedy Center Performance