ORANGE WATER AND SEWER AUTHORITY
COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS OFFICER
The Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) is a community-owned utility providing the Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with high quality and reliable water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services through responsible and creative stewardship of the resources we manage.
Our team seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic candidate for our newly-created Communications and Community Relations Officer position to develop and lead OWASA’s communications and community engagement program. Through this program, this high-level professional will:
- Raise awareness about the value of water
- Promote the sustainable use of water resources
- Engage the community in decision-making that is important to them
- Enhance stakeholder trust and confidence
- Support the mission of the organization and strategic direction of our Board of Directors
- Work with OWASA’s team of technical staff to develop clear and actionable Information
- Distribute information in relevant and creative forums to meet our community- members where they are with the information that they want and need
- Engage the community we serve through surveys, public forums, and other events
- Serve as the spokesperson for OWASA in times of emergency and for high- profile projects
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be an action-oriented strategic-thinker with exceptional communication skills and the ability to build and foster community/stakeholders trust and confidence. Effective interpersonal skills are a must in our team environment.
A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree in public relations, mass communications, marketing, journalism or a closely related field is preferred. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of five to seven years’ of highly successful professional-level work in public relations, communications, and/or community engagement. Prior governmental and/or water utility experience is a plus. The position requires the ability to obtain a driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina.
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity and inclusion.
Salary range: $64,258 – $98,958
Closing date: Open Until Filled
To complete an application visit www.owasa.org
Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.