New Hanover County Democratic Party to Host Public Forum on Hospital Saleby GDN Shared Post August 16, 2019
Wilmington, NC – On Wednesday, August 28th the New Hanover County Democratic Party will host a forum on the proposed sale of the New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) at 6pm at the ILA Hall, 1305 S Fifth Avenue, Wilmington NC 28401. The speakers will include:
John Gizdic, NHRMC CEO
Chris Coudriet, New Hanover County Executive
Jeff James, Wilmington Health CEO
NHRMC is the largest independent hospital in North Carolina and the third largest in the entire country. It is presently owned by New Hanover County. The County Commission has announced that on September 3rd it will consider a “Resolution of Intent to Sell” the Medical Center.
NHRMC CEO John Gizdic said in a joint press release: “We’re clinically, financially and operationally strong today, but we recognize that to prepare for an uncertain future, we need to consider new ways to support investments in the people, technology and services that can make a significant difference in the health of our community.”
For many, this proposal raises significant questions about the future of healthcare in our community. They include:
- Why sell a healthcare system that serves our community so well?
- If billions in additional investment are needed and cannot be paid for by proceeds from our independent healthcare system, why would a purchaser shoulder that burden?
- How will a sale affect the quality of healthcare services?
- How will a sale impact the cost of healthcare services?
- How will a sale affect uncompensated or charity care?
- How will a sale impact employment? Will there be a no-layoff guarantee? For how long?
- The people of New Hanover County voted to create the hospital in 1961. Should a sale be subject to a vote of the people, who are its owners?
Contact: NHCDP Chair Richard Poole, (910) 508-3537