Panel discussion moderated by Nekima Levy-Pounds featuring TakeAction Minnesota leaders Renee Zschokke, James Cannon, and Larcel Mack (Credit: TakeAction Minnesota) In an overflow meeting at the Capri Theater, executives with Target Corporation engaged in a dialog about how corporate hiring policies prevent people with criminal arrest – disproportionately people of color – from securing a job. The community meeting was organized by TakeAction Minnesota through its Justice 4 All, fair hiring campaign.
Local elections take place in 200 towns and cities across North Carolina on Tuesday, and making sure every registered voter is able to cast their ballot is still a concern. Pasquotank County received national attention over an unsuccessful attempt to keep Elizabeth City State University student Montravias King from voting and running for city council. Staff attorney Clare Barnett, Southern Coalition for Social Justice, said she fears efforts to make it difficult for minorities and college students to vote could affect voter turnout across the state on Tuesday.
There are 16.4 million American children living in poverty. That's nearly one quarter (22.6%) of all of our children. More alarming is that the percentage of poor children has climbed by 4.5 percent  since the start of the Great Recession in 2007. And poor means poor. For a family of three with one child under 18, the poverty line is $18,400. Meanwhile, the stock market is booming. Banks, hedge funds and private equity firms are making tens of billions of dollars again , while the luxury housing and goods markets are skyrocketing.
- A 12-year-old Fights Against Voter Suppression Efforts in North Carolina
- Youth Unemployment at 15.9% in September Generation Opportunity releases Millennial Jobs Report
- Coping with Student Loan Repayment: Report Shares Problems, Offers Options for Borrowers
- NCDOT Begins Fortify Project and Introduces New Website to Informand Better Connect Commuters
- Arts For Social Justice Documentary "Walk With Me" Has First-Round Digital Release