How to Vote Absentee by Mail – When should I vote by mail?by Contributing Writer(s) October 5, 2020
Play it safe – don’t wait! Experts recommend requesting and voting your absentee by-mail ballot at least two weeks prior to the formal deadlines.Request your ballot now, and vote and return your ballot as soon as you receive it.
Deadline to request your ballot:
by 5 PM on Tues., October 27
Deadline to submit your ballot:
by 5 PM on Tues., November 3
How can I track my ballot?
Pro-Tip: Track the status of your mail-in ballot — from printing to acceptance — BY USING BALLOTTRAX. Information on tracking your ballot via ballottrax is included in your county’s ballot instructions. It offers:
- a voter dashboard with the status of your ballot
- email/text/voice alerts to track your ballot’s status
- Spanish-language capability
3 Easy Steps to Vote by Mail
Deadline: 5 PM on Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Pro-Tip: Don’t wait for the deadline — submit your request form as soon as possible.
(1) Complete your Absentee Ballot Request Form through the new State Board of Elections ONLINE PORTAL or download and print your ABSENTEE BALLOT REQUEST FORM.
(2) Complete and sign the form digitally or by hand. Include your phone number in case something you write is hard to read.
(3) Return the form via the ONLINE PORTAL or to your COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS OFFICE (CONTACT INFORMATION HERE) in-person or by mail, email, or fax.
If you are unable to use the online portal or to download and print an absentee ballot request form, you can request your COUNTY BOARD mail a blank form to you.
VOTE YOUR ABSENTEE BALLOT
After you submit an absentee ballot request form, an absentee ballot will be mailed to you. Mark your absentee ballot that is mailed to you in the presence of one witness. The witness should NOT violate your privacy (i.e, watch your voting choices) while you vote.
Once your ballot is completed, do these three things before your return it:
(1) seal the ballot in the return envelope provided,
(2) complete and sign the Absentee Application and Certificate on the return envelope, and
(3) have one witness complete and sign the return envelope in the space designated as Witness’s Certification.
???? Almost anyone over 18 years old can serve as a witness – including a spouse or other family member.
RETURN YOUR ABSENTEE BALLOT
Deadline: 5 PM on Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Pro-Tip: Don’t wait until the deadline to submit your ballot. Vote and return it as soon as you receive it. If you wait until Nov. 3 to mail your ballot, you must take it to a mail carrier to have it postmarked by 5 p.m.
You have three options to return your ballot in the provided return envelope:
(1) deliver it in person to your COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS by 5 PM on Tuesday, November 3,
(2) deliver it in person to an early voting site during the early voting period (Oct. 15-31), OR
(3) mail it to your COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS using a 55 cent stamp with the envelope postmarked by 5 PM on Election Day.
???? Only the voter or the voter’s near relative or legal guardian may return your ballot— do not give it to someone else to return.
More questions about how to vote by mail?
Or call 888-OUR-VOTE to speak with an elections expert.
NC Absentee Ballot Request Form in English
Download the NC Absentee Ballot Request form in English here to print and submit.
NC Absentee Ballot Request Form in Spanish (EN ESPAÑOL)
Instrucciones para el formulario estatal de solicitud para la boleta del voto en ausencia 2020.