200 W. Fifth Street
Greenville, NC 27858
The City of Greenville is seeking qualified applicants for the following position:
ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY
This position assists the Greenville City Attorney’s Office in providing legal services to the City Manager, City departments, City-appointed boards and commissions, and City Council.
Duties include identifying potential legal issues with City operations and providing legal guidance; drafting and reviewing ordinances, contracts, and various other legal documents; advising City-appointed boards and commissions; and representing the City in court, administrative hearings, and negotiations.
Reporting to the City Attorney, this position will cover a wide variety of legal areas that pertain to municipal government. Special emphasis may be given to candidates with extensive legal experience in local government law, transactional work, civil litigation, or any other related legal experience.
- Drafting and reviewing contracts and negotiating contract terms.
- Researching and drafting ordinances, resolutions, leases, deeds, and other legal documents.
- Involved in acquisition of real property or disposition of City-owned property.
- Research legal authority to enter into economic development agreements, including offering incentives to companies and ensuring procedures are followed.
Legal Advisor to departments and Boards and Commissions:
- Attend assigned City-appointed board and commission meetings and advise boards on meeting procedures and legal issues.
- Ensure boards comply with open meetings law.
- Ensure departments comply with public records requests.
- Advise departments on enforcement of city codes and ordinances.
- Represent City in civil proceedings and in litigation independently or in partnership with outside counsel.
Hiring salary range: $91,852.80 – $114,836.80, depending on qualifications
Full salary range: $91,852.80 – $137,800
Application Deadline: August 15, 2021
For additional information and to apply online, please visit our website at www.greenvillenc.gov.
The City of Greenville is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer