ORANGE WATER AND SEWER AUTHORITY
DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING AND PLANNING
The Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA), is Carrboro-Chapel Hill’s not-for-profit public service agency delivering high-quality water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services. We seek a strong, results-oriented leader with a proven record of success to join our team as the Director of Engineering and Planning. This position is responsible for leading and overseeing departmental goals and objectives to ensure successful, efficient administration of OWASA’s Systems Development (third party), Long Range Planning, Asset Management, and Capital Improvements Programs (CIP) in accordance with Federal, State and local regulations, as well as our Standards and Specifications. Position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Other duties include:
- Provides vision and general direction to four program managers while indirectly leading a total staff of 15 employees in the Engineering and Planning department.
- Lead CIP planning, budgeting and execution efforts for all long-range planning activities and ensure that construction work associated with extensions to water, wastewater and reclaimed water systems are in compliance.
- Works closely with OWASA departments to ensure all operational, maintenance and repair function within OWASA receive adequate engineering support.
- Meets with internal and external customers, local government and university officials, regulators, consultants, and other stakeholders as needed.
- Serves as or designates primary staff to liaison with the OWASA Board of Directors for all matters pertaining to the Natural Resources and Technical Systems Committee.
- Develops performance metrics and seeks continuous improvements in all aspects of the operation and regularly presents information and recommendations to Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate should possess outstanding communication skills and have a demonstrated ability to lead and coach staff. Must be able to set clearly defined goals, evaluate progress, and change course as necessary to fulfill the mission while ensuring that safe work practices are followed. Must be a trusted steward of the environment, our natural resources and the organization’s financial resources. Must be community minded and innovative when solving problems. A service-oriented attitude, responsiveness, professionalism, and a passion to foster a diverse and inclusive work environment are necessary.
Position requires seven to nine years of progressive management experience with a Master’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, environmental sciences, or other related field. This position also requires licensure as a Professional Engineer and a valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
We provide excellent benefits to include membership in the NC Local Government Employees Retirement System, employer 457 plan contribution and retirement health savings account. Paid Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurances. Additional benefits include: Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, Bereavement and Parental Leave, Educational Reimbursement, Bonus Pay for Additional Certifications and/or Education.
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity, and inclusion. OWASA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sex in administration of its programs or activities. Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.
Salary range $103,909 – $160,021.
To complete an application visit www.owasa.org
Closing date is December 28, 2020.