ORANGE WATER AND SEWER AUTHORITY
Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA) is Carrboro-Chapel Hill’s not-for-profit public service agency delivering high-quality water, wastewater, and reclaimed water services. Our team seeks an energetic and enthusiastic Laboratory Supervisor to lead the water treatment plant laboratory staff for the Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant. OWASA is a leader in the utility industry; the Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant is a recipient of the Partnership for Safe Water’s Excellence in Water Treatment Award for the past eleven years.
The Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for leading the laboratory staff and administering the laboratory programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Fulfilling the mission and goals of OWASA while ensuring employee safety and providing high-quality drinking water are top priorities.
- Providing leadership, development, coaching to a staff of three (3) employees; ensuring performance expectations are met.
- Maintaining compliance with local, state, and federal regulations including preparing and submitting a variety of regulatory reports.
- Remaining abreast of all current and pending laws and regulations.
- Maintaining good relationships with community neighbors and customers; providing excellent customer service.
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the water treatment laboratory; supervises and performs a variety of complex laboratory tests including tests requiring operation of Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS).
- Performing a variety of analyses; supervises and performs tests to determine various physical chemical parameters, bacteriological, organic carbon, algae, algae toxins, taste and odor compounds, and other tests; supervises and prepares solutions and reagents.
- Performing quality control program on equipment and supplies to assure reliable test results; maintains laboratory equipment in proper operating order; maintains state laboratory certifications.
Ideal candidates should be self-motivated with the strong ability and desire to lead others when it comes to development, team building, and setting clear work standards. Successful candidates should have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Candidates should have three to five years’ experience modeling leadership behaviors, coaching mentoring and supervising in a water quality laboratory with a bachelor’s degree in relatable field of study. Position requires a driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina. Successful candidate must meet and maintain requirements for a safety sensitive position. Physical requirements include the ability to frequently exert 10 pounds and occasionally up to 20 pounds.
OWASA provides excellent benefits to include membership in the North Carolina Local Government Employees Retirement System, employer 457 plan contribution and retirement health savings account. Paid Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurances. Additional benefits include: Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave, Bereavement and Parental Leave, Educational Reimbursement, Bonus Pay for Additional Certifications and/or Education.
OWASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to continuous improvement, sustainability, creativity, diversity, and inclusion. OWASA does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, disability, age, or sex in administration of its programs or activities, or employment decisions. Certified Orange County Living Wage Employer.
Salary Range: $60,634 – $93,376.
To complete an application visit www.owasa.org .
Closing date is June 15, 2022.