Dr. Dorrance Kennedy is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana. He is a graduate of Hampton University; received his Master of Social Work from Southern University, a Master of Theological Studies degree from Covenant Seminary, and a Doctorate of Education from Fayetteville State University. He is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who was employed for several years as a public school social worker in Louisiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
Currently, Dr. Kennedy is an Assistant professor of social work at Fayetteville State University. He is also an ordained minister.
He is the founder and CEO of Empower Your Purpose, a personal development corporation dedicated to bringing communities together. Over the last twenty years, he has spoken to a wide variety of audiences including schools, colleges, community organizations, churches and now, The PowerPLAY Show.
Dr. Dorrance Kennedy received his Bachelor degree from Hampton University. Dr. Kennedy also received his Master of Social Work degree from Southern University, and a Doctorate of Education degree from Fayetteville State University.
Dr. Kennedy is an Assistant Professor/ Assistant Field Director in the School of Social Work. He is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker who was employed for several years as a public school social worker in Louisiana, Illinois, and Missouri. Dr. Kennedy has completed training at the United Way Multicultural Leadership Program and the Institute for Community Leadership. He is a former board member of the Fayetteville Family Life Center and the African American Advisory Committee of CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). Dr. Kennedy is a member of the NAACP, the Urban League, North American Association of Christians in Social Work, and the National Association of Black Social Workers.
- EdD, Fayetteville State University
- MSW, Southern University
- BS, Hampton University
- SWRK 220 Introduction to Human Services
- SWRK 230 Introduction to Social Work
- SWRK 340 Social Welfare Policy I: Social Welfare History
- SWRK 350 Social Welfare Policy II: Policy Analysis and Evaluation
- SWRK 425 Social Work with Families
- Social Work and Spirituality
- Community Organization
- Cultural Diversity and Social Justice
- Macro Practice
- Kennedy, D. and Wilson-Jones, L. (2017) “Undergraduate African American Males’ Narratives on the Personal Factors Influencing Retention in the Social Sciences,” Journal of Research Initiatives: Vol. 3 : No. 1 , Article 8.
- Kennedy, D., Corbin , D. , Dilday, C., Marquez, M., and Nichols, Q. (2018) “African American Church Social Entrepreneurship as Macro Social Work, ” Journal of Sociology and Social Work: Vol. 6: No.1