The North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus Foundation Announces 2014 Education Scholarship Event Slated for June 6by Greater Diversity News May 6, 2014 0 comments
The North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus Foundation June 6, 2014 Education Scholarship Event includes: Issues Briefings (Survival of HBCUs, Affordable Care, Learning The New Rules for Voting in NC), a Networking Luncheon, a Memorial Service Honoring Deceased NCLBC Members and The William L. Wainwright Scholarship Banquet with Keynote Speaker U. S. Congressman G. K. Butterfield. Full event information is available at www.NCLBCF.org.
Raleigh, NC, May 5, 2014 – The North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. announces June 6 as the date for its 2014 Education Scholarship Event. The Education Scholarship Event is an annual one day event designed to 1) raise funds for scholarships for students attending the 10 participating Historically Black Colleges and Universities in North Carolina and 2) educate the community on issues and topics that impact the citizens of North Carolina. The event, whose theme is “Continuing the Investment in Promising Futures: Scholarship-Education-Success,” will be held Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, 4700 Emperor Blvd., Research Triangle Park, Durham, NC.
According to Foundation Chair Rep. Alma Adams, representative for North Carolina District 58 and candidate for U. S. Congress, to represent North Carolina’s 12th Congressional District, “The economic challenges facing young people today continue to increase. The ability to pay for a college education is an impossible task for many people who desire a college education.” She adds, “It is our duty and responsibility to ensure access to higher education for these young people, who are the workforce of the future. The funds raised generate the power needed to sustain young futures through education. The situation remains critical. The rising cost of attending college and the resulting debt, make financial support through scholarships, even more important.”
Even in tough economic times, the North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus Foundation has provided support to higher education in North Carolina for more than 28 years by awarding need-based scholarships to students attending one of the 10 participating Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in North Carolina.
The William L. Wainwright Scholarship Banquet on June 6, at 7pm
The cornerstone activity of the one-day Education Scholarship Event is The William L. Wainwright Scholarship Banquet on June 6, starting at 7pm. The keynote speaker for this ticketed event is U. S. Congressman G. K. Butterfield, representing North Carolina’s First District. The fee for this scholarship fundraising dinner is included in the full event registration of $75, which also includes the Networking Luncheon, Issues Briefings, Memorial Service honoring deceased members of the NCLBC and Scholarship Reception. The fee to attend only The William L. Wainwright Scholarship Banquet is $50 per person.
Issues Briefings – 1:00 – 4:20 pm
As part of this annual event, the Foundation affirms its commitment to providing the community opportunities for meaningful dialogue through Issues Briefings. 2014 Event Co-Chairs Dr. Delores A. Parker and Ms. Lisa Hodges recently announced the topics for the Issues Briefings:
Session I – 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm Survival of Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Session II – 2:10 pm – 3:10 pm Affordable Care Act – What’s At Stake?
Session III –3:20 PM – 4:20 PM Voting In NC – Learn The New Rules
The Issues Briefings are free and open to the public, but registration is required. To register or for more information attendees should visit www.NCLBCF.org.
Education Scholarship Event Schedule
General Event Registration (continues throughout the day)
Networking Luncheon (Ticket Required)
1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Issues Briefings Session FREE, but registration is required
Memorial Services Honoring Deceased NCLBC Members
Banquet Doors Open
7:00 – 9:30 pm
The William L. Wainwright Scholarship Banquet (Ticket Required)
For More Information
Co-Chair Delores Parker at 919-271-6417
Co-Chair Lisa Hodges at 919-441-8061
Scholarship Information: Visit www.nclbcf.org
Rhue Still, Inc. 856-452-1533
About the Foundation
The North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus Foundation, Inc. (NCLBCF) is a 501(c)(3) organization established in 1986. The Foundation has a 21-member board that drives our success. Thirteen of the NCLBCF board members (62%) are private (non-legislative) citizens. The remaining eight (38%) are members of the NC Legislative Black Caucus. The goal is to provide scholarships to students at all 10 public and private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in North Carolina.